Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Gospel Train

Find this song on Youtube if you havn't heard it: The Gospel Train (marian anderson's version is my current favorite)

The Gospel train’s a’comin’. I hear it just at hand. I hear the car wheel rumblin’And rollin’ thro’ the land.

Get on board little children! Get on board little children! Get on board little children! There's room for many or more!

I hear the train a’comin.'She's comin' round the curve.She's loosened all her steam and brakes And strainin' ev'ry nerve!

Get on board little children! Get on board little children! Get on board little children! There's room for many or more!

The fare is cheap and all can go, The rich and poor are there. No second class aboard this train, No difference in the fare.
Get on board little children! Get on board little children! Get on board little children! There's room for many or more!


What lyrics! I just read that this was used as a sort of "code song" to American slaves to tip them that a group was ready to head out to freedom. This does not hide the glory of Gospel in this song.
Imagine kids (i do) running to a train. They are all different, Some rich, some poor, some do cartwheels, some run fast, some look behind them in fear, some are unsure if this is legit but a courage and faith drives them on. They jump onto the train and hang out of the windows to yell and encourage others to come on. Some hang on the side like fools.

Hear the last verse: "The fare is cheap and all can go," Christ Jesus, The Holy one has payed for the ticket with His life and that, though not cheap for Him, He extends His "Yoke" to us in love joyfully and to us it is "easy" and "light". He has bought the tickets and bids men, as He did in Jerusalem, to come on.

"The rich and poor are there, no second class aboard this train, no difference in the fare!"
Might I say with joy as I have been for about a day, "We are all nothing and He is Perfect!" His perfection, His Glory(God help me remember that), His Holiness, His Self is the goodness and rightness. We are all equal and are found righteous IN HIM. God help me not look down on others ESPECIALLy in the Household of faith. In reality were all dirty little kids and we can love each other in Him.

I like the last line of the chorus: "There's room for many or more!"
There is room! Like children, lets compel men. God help us, may we run like those kids in my head.

"Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heartand you will find rest for your souls.For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Matthew 11:28 - 30 - (READ THIS VERSE!)

No comments: